Getting started with awesomiumdotnet and WPF?

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I know this is a question that a lot of you more experienced guys and girls will laugh at.

But I really wanted to use awesomiumdotnet as a real alternative to the C# browser component.

I could really do with a small guide on how to get it working with WPF.

I have downloaded it, hoping there would be some sort of document with it to help me.

I have 1.6 RC1.

I know this document probably already exists, but I just can't seem to find it. anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Sorry, the documentation is indeed a bit poor at the moment and you're absolutely right that it's not so obvious how to get started.

Your best bet at the moment is to study the WpfSample project. You can download it using SVN or go to Source Code -> Browse -> trunk -> samples -> WpfSample.

The basic idea is that you create an Image control on your form and initialize the WebCore and WebView. Use a timer to update the WebView every few milliseconds. When the view has changed (is dirty), render it into a bitmap and pass it as the BitmapSource for the Image control. The rest is just passing the mouse and keyboard input. Feel free to ask more questions about this.

I've planned to release a demo pack of the samples in the SVN trunk together with the source once Awesomium 1.6 is stable. Making tutorials is also something to consider. For anything that concerns just Awesomium and not .NET, WPF, etc., there is the official support page:

http://support.awesomium.com

Note that AwesomiumDotNet is currently a hobby project of one person, so I have limited time for it. I'm open for help and contributions from others though. I'm no longer actively interested in using Awesomium for my own purposes, but I'll keep updating the wrapper until someone else wants to take over.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I actually can't believe you poured out so much help there without being over protective of the project (given what some project coordinators can be like).

Thanks a million anthrax11, If I manage to get it up and running, I will have no problem with writing up some documents on how to work with the system.

I will be attempting this when I get home from university tonight. 

thanks again.